Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Oh please, PLEASE let this happen...


Ladies and Gentlemen, he's not going away. RadarOnline reports that outspoken Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is putting forth a serious effort to buy the Chicago Cubs. While Cuban was quoted on February 9 at TheStreet.com as saying "I'm always interested in iconic teams or teams from my hometown, but it's a 'nice to do,' not a 'have to do,'", Radar says that a source close to the matter commented that "Mark is desperate to buy the Cubs. He wants this so bad." Cuban recently was also reportedly interested in buying the Pirates, but the deal did not happen for whatever reason.

This would be AMAZING for Major League Baseball. In no other sport are the owners so publicly crotchety, old, Machiavellian, stubborn, and old. The seemingly biennial labor wars are no help to this cause. Despite Bud Selig's best effort to "internationalize" the game, the sport is losing the popular culture war to both the NFL and the NBA, and, God help us, the NHL can't be far behind. An animated, flamboyant owner like Cuban would to more to take baseball to the casual-to-simply-aware fans than Selig or Donald Fehr ever could. And for him to take the helm of one of the game's most storied, high-profile franchises in the Chicago Cubs, well...I...excuse me, I gotta wipe all this drool off my keyboard.

dxfghjklp;'';lkj';lkjh

Sorry. My point is that Major League Baseball should be really excited about this deal, but they no doubt won't be. The old guard is firmly entrenched in one of the most ridiculous monopolies in American history, and Mark Cuban is just the kind of new face they DON'T want to see. Maybe that's why I'm so excited about it.

----

I will not be posting for about a week due to a serious amount of work I have to put into other matters. "How is this different from normal," you may ask? "Shut up," is how I would respond to that. Mr. Walsh and I will be back once March gets past this "lion" stage with season previews and predictions. Just four and a half weeks until Opening Day!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home